LG Electronics to close down it’s smartphone production after losing billions of dollars in the last six years

South Korea’s second-largest appliance firm, LG Electronics, has announced it will be closing down its mobile phone business, after losing billions of dollars in recent years.


The company announced Monday, April 5 that the phone production unit has recorded losses for 23 consecutive quarters since 2015, with the cumulative deficit reaching about 5 trillion won ($4.4 billion) by the end of last year.


The firm was once considered a pioneer of the Android operating system, collaborating with Google in the early 2010s but it has struggled to increase sales, entering the market late and facing tough competition from cheaper Chinese rivals such as Huawei.

The division has “failed to produce results” amid “intensifying price competition among major competitors in the entry-level mobile phone market”, the company said in a statement.


The decision will enable the firm to “focus resources in growth areas such as electric vehicle components”, robotics and smart homes, it added.

3,594 total views, 19 views today

Facebook Comments

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

The Federal Government on Thursday April 15 said the issuance of new SIM cards will
Microblogging and social networking service, Twitter is establishing a presence in Africa, with its Headquarters
The Federal Government on Saturday signed a Memorandum of Action (MoA) with striking Nigeria Association
The White House has released official portraits of US president Joe Biden and Vice President
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has announced its plan of collaborating with other stakeholders to establish

Author: Daniel Said✩✷